Skip to main content

Leave of Absence or Withdrawal

Per Graduate Division rules, graduate students are eligible for a maximum of three (3) quarters Leave of Absence (LOA) with department approval, and up to 3 additional quarters of parenting leave, if appropriate. 

LOA Procedures

Students who take a temporary leave from their graduate studies are required to fill out a 'Leave of Absence, Extension or Withdrawal' form before they leave campus. This form can be obtained from the Graduate Coordinator.

A graduate student must have completed at least one quarter of academic residence and be in good academic standing (GPA of 3.0, and no more than 8 units of "U" or "F") to be granted a leave.

The form must be filed no later than the end of the second week of instruction of the quarter in which the leave is to begin.

International students must also obtain approval from the International Center.

A student who has registered, paid fees and enrolled for the quarter in which a leave is being requested, must also indicate a withdrawal from classes on the form.

Students are subject to refunds as published in the Finance page of Tritionlink. Students are only eligible for a 100% refund if withdrawing from graduate studies on/by the first day of instruction.

A student seeking to maintain health coverage must contact the Student Health Services to purchase insurance. Insurance may be purchased only for one quarter of leave at the current rate of ~$1634/quarter.

While on leave, a student may not be employed by UC San Diego, UC San Diego Extension, or UC San Diego Medical Center or hold a fellowship, traineeship, or similar appointment administered by the University. Students on leave may not use any University facilities or place demands on faculty.

A leave of absence or withdrawal does not extend the period during which a grading problem "I" or No Record must be resolved.

Extension of a Leave Procedure

To extend an approved leave of absence, a student must notify the Graduate Coordinator at least two weeks prior to the end of the quarter in which the leave terminates.

An extension requires approval of the department. The International Center must approve an extension of a Leave of Absence for all international students.

Withdrawal Procedure

A student leaving the University and not planning to return must return all borrowed library material, set up an exit interview with the Graduate Coordinator and complete a list of responsibilities, including returning keys and cleaning out departmental and laboratory office space.

A student withdrawing during the first thirty-five calendar days of a quarter will receive a refund of fees according to the Schedule of Refunds for Tuition, Educational Fee, University Registration Fee, and other Student Fees. The date of withdrawal used in calculating a refund will be the date on which the form is submitted to the Graduate Division.

A student on a leave of absence who subsequently withdraws must obtain all clearance signatures for the withdrawal.

Returning from a Leave Procedure

When planning on returning from a Leave of Absence, a student must notify the Graduate Coordinator of the quarter in which he or she intends to register. The Graduate Coordinator then notifies the Graduate Division and the student is reinstated into the system. The student cannot register until this is done. Notification of return from a leave can only be given to the Graduate Division by the department.

When returning from a leave of absence of two quarters or more, a student must file a Statement of Legal residence with the Office of the Registrar prior to registering. The form can be obtained here.