Skip to main content

Tax Information

Please keep in mind that neither UC San Diego nor any of its employees are authorized to offer tax advice and are not trained on answering tax questions.

Although stipend payments are taxable, the University is not required to report the income or to withhold taxes for U.S. citizens. Therefore it is recommended that you track your stipend income and estimate the income tax throughout the year to avoid an unexpected tax burden when you prepare your tax return. 

The 1098-T tax form breaks down stipend and financial aid payments according to taxability and W-2 for payroll salary. The combination of these two forms is typically sufficient for tax season.

The following links are additional resources available to graduate students.